Description of Practice
Lawyer specialized in intellectual property disputes for many years (in particular, Patent Registration, Brands, Industrial Design, and unfair competition, fundamental rights and data protection), he has combined his professional practice with an active participation in M&A transactions (fundamentally, between industrial or trade companies) and in many cases representing foreign clients interests.
- On various occasions he has been appointed arbitrator in procedures at Tribunal Arbitral de Barcelona (TAB) or ad hoc, and equally acting regularly as attorney in arbitration proceedings.
- He is also required as attorney in pre-litigation and litigation cases.
- In the last years he is requested by non-EU investors for advice in Spain or in the EU, and also for Spanish clients’ investments abroad.
He graduated at the University of Barcelona (1987) and obtained an LLM in International Business Law at the London School of Economics and Political Science (1989).
- He started his career at Clifford Chance, at their Madrid’s office (1989), becoming a partner and co-founding the Barcelona office in 1993, being manager and the managing partner until 2002.
- He left Clifford Chance to found his own firm, Iuris Valls Abogados (2003-2013) until the merger with FORNESA ABOGADOS in September 2013.
Publications & Lectures
- He is a regular speaker at IBA congresses.
- He also contributes to various publications, both Spanish and international.
Professional Associations & Other Activities
- Admitted to the Barcelona Bar (1990) where he was elected deputy of the Board (2011-2013) and Head of the Professional Prospectives Commission.
- President of the Associació pel Foment de l’Arbitratge (Association for the Promotion of Arbitration).
- Co-Chair of the IBA Professional Ethics Committee.
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIARB).
- He attends regularly to meetings at the IBA, INTA and AIPLA.
Carlos Valls Martínez
Vía Augusta 252, 4ª – 08017 Barcelona
T +34 933621620 – F +34 932009843
P.º de la Castellana 135, 7ª – 28046 Madrid
T +34 917906844 – F +34 912975497